Friday, April 26, 2019

First Post

I've always wanted to start a blog but I keep coming up with excuses; "I'm too busy"... "I wouldn't even know what to say," etc. But not this time. So, here we go.

With the spring migration beginning, many of the new returns are welcomed... even if 90% of them are Turkey Vultures and Common Grackles. While the only real birding that I've gotten the chance to do is in my patch, I've still come across a few interesting things.

The main hotspots I go birding include Hullett Marsh as my main one, Exeter Sewage Lagoons, and during fall and spring migration, The Bluff. 

Image result for hullett marsh
Hullett Marsh 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=16kEYUrvI0Eho0UIG5Q2Stq43j5f-LPUs
The Bluff in the fog

Unfortunately I have no actual pictures of Exeter sewage lagoons but in all fairness, 
they ARE sewage lagoons.

For me, the thing that got me into birding, like many birders, was a bird. It clicked for me about 5 years ago when I was hand feeding Chickadees. I only started birding seriously in the past two or three years though.
Hand feeding Chickadees (March 2019)

The camera I'm currently using is a D5600 with a 70-300mm lens which I love. It doesn't have the reach for some birds but of course I still try to take pictures of those way-too-far birds. I've had it for about 2 months so I'm still trying to get the hang of it.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1F-ycqIN1XVz9x3pJy2Y0vkSFbvYNeSWS
My new-ish camera

Things are looking pretty busy the next few days (yeah there's that excuse) so I don't have many bird-related plans except for a short trip to Hullett. There is a Rondeau trip on the horizon though; about mid May. As for now, I'll just have to keep up with school and continue honing my warbler song ID...

No comments:

Post a Comment